[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:56:09 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:
> On 3/16/08, Geoff wrote:
>
>>  I ran QuickBBS and SuperBBS.. and then there was something else, but I
>>  don't remember, now.  That's been 10 years ago, and by golly... I had
>>  that thing up for 10 years.
>
> I didn't run any BBSes, but I sure used my share of them.
Oh?  Which ones?  What subject matter?  Famished!  I miss the "old days..."

> The ISP I have today that does hosting for my vanity domain started
> out as the one of the largest BBSes in the world, and later expanded
> into running an honest-to-goodness ISP.  I first signed up for service
> with them in the late 80s/early 90s, and continue to use them to this
> day.
I started with STIC, ran my BBS over their lines, and stayed with them
until RR came along.  If STIC had offered similarly priced broadband,
I'd probably still be with them.  Their service was great!

>>                               That means I've been behind a keyboard
>> for  25 years, come this October.
>
> I first started playing & working on computers about 1980, owned a
> computer myself in 1982 (that summer, my parents bought me a Commodore
> Vic-20), and I've been behind a keyboard ever since. That's 28 years,
> for those of you who are counting.
1977 with pencil, compass, typewriter and punch cards -- doing maps for
AWACS...

> The funny thing is that I work with some guys at UT Austin who've been
> employed in this field for over thirty years.  They remember doing
> some things I've only ever heard about, and they're still going.
Share?

> I've been a professional Unix system administrator since 1989 (that's
> nineteen years), and I've been around long enough that I'm used to
> being the "greybeard" of whatever place I walk into.  Heck, at Skynet
> I was the fourth-oldest person in the company, and the oldest guy was
> only two or three years older than I was -- he was the General Manager
> at the time, and years before he had been the General Manager for
> Apple Europe.
I don't have so prestigious a resume, but I've had a lot of fun with
what I've done.

> I don't know how many years Clyde has before he retires, but I am by
> no means the youngest person in our group at UT Austin.
>
>>  ....where's my cane...
>>  ;-)
Cheers;
Ed