[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Mar 17 01:18:10 CDT 2008

On 3/16/08, ed wrote:

>  Oh?  Which ones?  What subject matter?  Famished!  I miss the "old days..."

You know, it's been so long ago that I don't even remember most of their names.

I had an Apple ][+ as a high school graduation gift, and I used that
with a Hayes 300 Baud modem to dial up two or three different BBSes
in the central Oklahoma area (don't hold that against me -- it was my
parents who forced me to move to Norman).

Later, when I was in College, I tended to spend more time on mailing
lists and USENET newsgroups carried over UUCP at school, than on
BBSes at the house -- among other things, we had only the one line,
and the other phones in the house would make a chirping noise as I
dialed out, so I couldn't be online late at night.

Once I graduated and moved to the DC area to work in the basement of
the Pentagon, I was offline for a couple of years while until I could
get a decent apartment where I could set up a computer.  Once I did,
I got onto the Heller Information Systems (HIS) BBS, and they had
something like 24 lines.  They were connected to FidoNet, but I
didn't do much on FidoNet myself.

I tended to chat more on the local boards, and after a certain
debacle at work (I sent a letter to the Communications of the ACM
decrying what the NSA was trying to do in squelching the publication
of good encryption algorithms, and I made the mistake of using the
computers at work to send that, see my copy at
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/cacm92nov.html>), so I used their
Internet e-mail services a lot more.

There were a couple of other local BBSes in the area that I used to
get on, and I actually wound up getting my three cats from one set of
BBS friends.  They ran a BBS that had the name "Unicorn" in it
somewhere, but I can't remember the full name now.  He worked for
AT&T, and they were rolling out a new product for which he was the
manager.  They gave him two weeks notice to get him and his whole
household moved down to Texas (Dallas?), where they had their
operations center.

But they didn't know what to do with their cats until they got a
house.  So, they asked me to take care of them, and they'd call me
when they were ready to have me ship them down.  In payment, I'd get
to keep one cat of my choice, and they'd take the other two back.
Only they never called.  I called them several times, but never spoke
to them directly, only leaving messages on their machine.  They had
set up their BBS down here in Texas so I even dialed long-distance
and left them e-mail on their own BBS, but no answer.  So, I wound up
keeping all three cats.

>  1977 with pencil, compass, typewriter and punch cards -- doing maps for
>  AWACS...

When I was there in the mi-80s, OU taught their introductory
programming classes on punch cards.  One time I asked one of the
professors why, and he said that it was because OU still issued
paychecks on punch cards.

I also worked on campus for most of the time I was there (4.5 years),
shelving books at the main library of the University.  A couple of
years earlier, I had asked one of the people at the Bursar's Office
why they still issued paychecks on punch cards -- they said that it
was because OU still taught programming on punch cards.