[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Mar 17 02:05:18 CDT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 11:18:10 pm Brad Knowles wrote:
[...]
> When I was there in the mi-80s, OU taught their introductory
> programming classes on punch cards.  One time I asked one of the
> professors why, and he said that it was because OU still issued
> paychecks on punch cards.
>
> I also worked on campus for most of the time I was there (4.5 years),
> shelving books at the main library of the University.  A couple of
> years earlier, I had asked one of the people at the Bursar's Office
> why they still issued paychecks on punch cards -- they said that it
> was because OU still taught programming on punch cards.

Classic...

On Sunday 16 March 2008 11:51:22 am Geoff wrote:
> ed wrote:
[...]
> >> I'm aware of CLI-driven linux being out there at least in '91.  'had an
> >> old friend who was a Linux programmer...

The creation of Linux 0.01 (concepts taken from minix) was in Aug 01 of
1999.  And if stuff like that interests you, then you probably want to check
this out:
        http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#08

Tweeks
p.s. XCSSA keysigning party is Monday night, 7pm at SAC room 025.  Details
here: http://xcssa.org/
p.p.s. I stop taking new keys (for the keysigning roster) at 4pm Monday