[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Mon Mar 17 08:04:03 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> I ran TGoA from '91-'98, finally shutting down when I hadn't seen a user
> for a month.  Meanwhile, I'd also setup TGoA III on the web.  Its kinda
> crest-fallen lately, but still out there.  I don't remember which mail
> tosser I used with TGoA BBS.  Do you remember which one you used?  Do
> you remember the 387net Gatherings?  Do you remember HDDs that cost $1/MB?

Good ol' google...  I found an old message of mine, that had the origin
and tear line on it, still...

1.  Jeff Edmonson

	 More options Apr 16 1995, 2:00 am

Newsgroups: *misc.consumers*
From: *jeff.edmon...
(Jeff Edmonson)*
Date: *1995/04/16*
Subject: *Greetings from TEXAS!*
<http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/msg/babdd91bee26433a> |
| Find messages by this author

The Electronic Avenue BBS, in San Antonio, TX is now Proudly carrying the
HOTROD echo!

SysOp - Electronic Avenue BBS

--- GEcho 1.00
 * Origin: Electronic Avenue BBS*(210)333-0060 San Antonio, TX (1:387/510)

Of course, that machine ain't around no more.  but, as you can see
there, GEcho was the tosser, FrontDoor was the mailer, and SuperBBS
(when I brought it down) was the actual BBS.

Holy crap, when I think of how much time I spent making colorized
high-ascii menus in 'TheDraw'...

You kidding me?  My -first- PC was a True-Blue 4.77/10MHz IBM XT w/the
FULL 640k of ram and a (then) -new- half-height 20*MEG* MFM hard-disk
drive, with a (then) new dual-sided 5 1/4" floppy drive!  Oh, and
nothing but the latest in graphics... Hercules mono-chrome card with
extended graphics, and an amber monochrome monitor.  I remember playing
'Leisure Suit Larry' on that thing and then complaining about the lack
of graphic detail when I 'upgraded' from the Hercules mono card to CGA.

It was 1985, I was working in Houston/Clear Lake City for Raynor
Computer systems near NASA, at their on-site maintenance installation at
Baker & Botts in One Shell Plaza, downtown Houston, fixing computers,
and printers, in a shirt/tie/slacks, while the 'preppies' were running
around with collared polo t-shirts with alligators on their left-breast
pocket, designer jeans and Nike tennies.

That machine cost me around $1000 ~ $1200... in 1885.

Moved back to San Antonio with the PC in tow in 1987, Dad died in
September of 1988, I started the BBS in early 89, graduated ITT Tech in
1991, fumbled around a few computer shops and went back into trade-show
setup/dismantle, because with my diploma and 3.6 GPA, I found I could
get a job on any bench making $7.50~8.00/hr and part-time, but I could
on the bench.  These days, I work an average of around 6 months a year
and still drag down $36~40k/yr, and I'm not sitting in some monkey suit
and tie, not doing the same old boring ass routine day in/day out, and I
get to do all the travel I want.  I love what I do!

Today, people are -giving- away 1+GHz systems.  *sigh*.  I bought a 17"
LCD Flat-screen monitor off of craigslist here in San Antonio a couple
of months ago, for $50.  Works 'great'.

just old, I guess...