[SATLUG] Ubuntu and AMD64/Geoforce 6100

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 08:24:07 CDT 2008

Hi All,

Recently purchased an HP Pavillion m8300f with an AMD64 Dual Core
6000+ processor, 3GB of RAM and onboard NVIDIA Geoforce 6100 video
card.  My issues right now are the video card.  I've got Ubuntu 7.10
(gutsy) loaded up on it right now.  I've downloaded the NVIDIA drivers
form NVIDIA and installed them and I get good resolution, but when I
go into the System->Appearance->Visual Effects and try and select
Extra, it wants to download some packages, including a restricted
driver, nvidia-glx-new, and one other package.  When these get
installed it says that I need to reboot the computer.  After the
reboot, Xorg can't find any screens, so it loads up the Failsafe

I did a lot of research on the subject over the weekend, but haven't
found a solution.  I'm only able to unload the packages it downloads,
and re-install the drivers from NVIDIA and I can get my resolution
back, but I can't seem to find out how to get the Extras to work on
the desktop

Anyone else run into this problem, or have any ideas?