[SATLUG] Ubuntu and AMD64/Geoforce 6100

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:02:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 08:24 -0500, Ed Coates wrote:
> After the
> reboot, Xorg can't find any screens, so it loads up the Failsafe
> Driver.

Normally Ubuntu is better with this. You shouldn't need to uninstall the
restricted rivers, but you should compare your xorg.conf files from
before and after the updates. If you have trouble getting X started,
sometimes you can just vim into the xorg file and change the display
driver from "nvidia" back to "nv", save then start X and investigate
further. Sometimes Ubuntu adds some extraneous info to the xorg file
that really isn't necessary.

Look for:
- modelines that aren't necessary for your application
- mismatches between sections, make sure your Monitor->Identifier is the
same as the Screen->Monitor

If you have an oddball monitor (I have a Dell 2007WFP that always gave
me trouble) you may need to find out your screen refresh rates
(horizontal and vertical) and enter them properly. Sometimes Ubuntu
changes them back to a default value that creates a mismatch. And if it
is a really oddball monitor, you may have to figure out those to make a
modeline entry for it.

That should be enough to get started. I just reread your post. There
might be a composite setting you have to put in/take out of your xorg
for that to work with your gpu. One word of advice though, if you are
going to use compiz, et. al. (which I would recommend with the 6100),
you should buy a real graphics card. The 6100 is about 4 generations
old. Even a cheap 7600 would be vastly superior to the integrated 6100.

~Nate