[SATLUG] Ubuntu and AMD64/Geoforce 6100

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:27:28 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 11:09 -0500, toddwbucy wrote:
> hmmm interesting.  I just upgraded from gutsy to hardy alpha 6, which by
> the way is remarkably stable for an alpha release.  Usually I use Envy
> to install the Nvidia drivers.  Yeah I know I am a gui whimp but Envy
> has never done me wrong when installing the latest drivers for Nvidia.

I used Envy back when it was Automatix and it always worked well for me,
with one caveat. My monitor (Dell 2007WFP) wasn't being auto detected,
so I always had to set the refresh rates in the xorg.conf. Otherwise, it
was brilliant.

> By the way support for gutsy ends on April 18th so you might want to
> think about using hardy rather then upgrading again in a month.

April 18th! They haven't even released a beta yet. I am as anxious as
the next guy to run Hardy (finally desktop effects with an Intel X3100
gpu), but they could wait at least until May or June. Maybe it will be
bug-free by the time it's released, but I normally don't like to run
brand new software when it's brand new.

~Nate