[SATLUG] Ubuntu and AMD64/Geoforce 6100

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:35:17 CDT 2008

Since you installed the proprietary drivers, just do a

$sudo dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and run through the prompts.  I would start with the VESA driver if you are
unsure.  That should get you back to a GUI desktop.  You can then try to use
the restricted drivers manager again and install the proprietary nvidia
drivers through the repository.  These have always worked for me with some
tweaking.  My biggest issue was configuring the dual 22" screens, but it
works fine once you get it all dialed down.  The extras that you are trying
to enable are probably linked to the restricted drivers in the repos, and
since you tried to do an 'unorthodox' (for ubuntu at least) it is throwing
up on you.  The ideal solution is to completely remove the Nvidia drivers
you tried to install from the web and make sure that you are only using the
Ubuntu sanctioned proprietary drivers from their own repos.  That should get
you rolling.