[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:01:47 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:
> ed wrote:
>>
>> I ran TGoA from '91-'98, finally shutting down when I hadn't seen a user
>> for a month.  Meanwhile, I'd also setup TGoA III on the web.  Its kinda
>> crest-fallen lately, but still out there.  I don't remember which mail
>> tosser I used with TGoA BBS.  Do you remember which one you used?  Do
>> you remember the 387net Gatherings?  Do you remember HDDs that cost
>> $1/MB?
>>

> Good ol' google...  I found an old message of mine, that had the
> origin and tear line on it, still...
>

> 1.  Jeff Edmonson
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/groups/profile?enc_user=Q-e2wSUAAADH2-sTO-c-2I3EzSETqDKhVz3WsrcLHuXoz1mxE6ZfMg8ENtkwPjbmWEhuSBvUmfk>
>

>      More options Apr 16 1995, 2:00 am
>
> Newsgroups: *misc.consumers*
> From: *jeff.edmon...
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/groups/unlock?msg=babdd91bee26433a&_done=/group/misc.consumers/browse_frm/month/1995-04%3F>@realpro.uucp.netcom.com
> (Jeff Edmonson)*
> Date: *1995/04/16*
> Subject: *Greetings from TEXAS!*
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/post?inreplyto=babdd91bee26433a&reply_to=author&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmisc.consumers%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1995-04%3F>
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/post?inreplyto=babdd91bee26433a&forward=1&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmisc.consumers%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1995-04%3F>
> | Print
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/msg/babdd91bee26433a?dmode=print>
> | Individual message
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/msg/babdd91bee26433a>
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/group/misc.consumers/msg/babdd91bee26433a?dmode=source>
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/groups/abuse?group=misc.consumers&type=message&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.co.ke%2Fgroup%2Fmisc.consumers%2Fmsg%2Fbabdd91bee26433a&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmisc.consumers%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1995-04%3F>
> | Find messages by this author
> <http://groups.google.co.ke/groups/search?enc_author=Q-e2wSUAAADH2-sTO-c-2I3EzSETqDKhVz3WsrcLHuXoz1mxE6ZfMg8ENtkwPjbmWEhuSBvUmfk&scoring=d>
>
> The Electronic Avenue BBS, in San Antonio, TX is now Proudly carrying the
> HOTROD echo!
>
> Regards,
> -Jeff
> SysOp - Electronic Avenue BBS
>
> --- GEcho 1.00
> * Origin: Electronic Avenue BBS*(210)333-0060 San Antonio, TX (1:387/510)

Google comes through again.  I wasn't lucky enough to find one of my old
netmails, but I found this link.  They have my dates wrong by over half
(as are yours), but it is some validation...

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:4lX1mGAeuiQJ:bbslist.textfiles.com/210/+The+Gardens+of+Avalon+BBS&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

> Of course, that machine ain't around no more.  but, as you can see
> there, GEcho was the tosser, FrontDoor was the mailer, and SuperBBS
> (when I brought it down) was the actual BBS.
Nor is mine...sigh...

> Holy crap, when I think of how much time I spent making colorized
> high-ascii menus in 'TheDraw'...
Didn't we all.  My crowning ASCII tho, was an Orca for Shannon
Blackburn's BBS.  BTW:  Remember the "Godfather?"  He and I had the same
tech support while I was still a computer novice...

> You kidding me?  My -first- PC was a True-Blue 4.77/10MHz IBM XT w/the
> FULL 640k of ram and a (then) -new- half-height 20*MEG* MFM hard-disk
> drive, with a (then) new dual-sided 5 1/4" floppy drive!  Oh, and
> nothing but the latest in graphics... Hercules mono-chrome card with
> extended graphics, and an amber monochrome monitor.  I remember
> playing 'Leisure Suit Larry' on that thing and then complaining about
> the lack of graphic detail when I 'upgraded' from the Hercules mono
> card to CGA.
My first home computer, in '91, was a Packard Bell 386SX/8mhz turbo 12 -
WITH the Turbo button...  :)  It had 64KB 32-pin SIMMs RAM when I
started (4MB when I finished with it) and an early .25 pitch VGA
monitor.  I added an Okidata MicroLine NLQ (dot matrix) printer.
Together, my rig cost @ $2400.00 off the shelf.  I fried the thing in
'93 when I spilled milk on the keyboard.  I replaced it with a 486/66DX,
used my old PB's HDD, and continued the BBS.

> It was 1985, I was working in Houston/Clear Lake City for Raynor
> Computer systems near NASA, at their on-site maintenance installation
> at Baker & Botts in One Shell Plaza, downtown Houston, fixing
> computers, and printers, in a shirt/tie/slacks, while the 'preppies'
> were running around with collared polo t-shirts with alligators on
> their left-breast pocket, designer jeans and Nike tennies.
>
> That machine cost me around $1000 ~ $1200... in 1885.
>
> {snip}  These days, I work an average of around 6 months a year and
> still drag down $36~40k/yr, and I'm not sitting in some monkey suit
> and tie, not doing the same old boring ass routine day in/day out, and
> I get to do all the travel I want.  I love what I do!
I work more months, but fewer days/week, like 3-4.  I'm teaching applied
computer sciences for CE at PAC, and I also love what I do!

> Today, people are -giving- away 1+GHz systems.  *sigh*.  I bought a
> 17" LCD Flat-screen monitor off of craigslist here in San Antonio a
> couple of months ago, for $50.  Works 'great'.
I know what you mean...

> just old, I guess...

Like most of us, I think.  I've only seen one person at SATLUG under 40,
and he's a teen.  Where'd the middle go?

Cheers!
Ed