[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 01:54:38 CDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:

>  On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 01:48 -0600, Robert Pearson wrote:
>
>  > I've heard many good things about Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS on this list and others.
>  > The goal is to move my sister from Windows 2000 to Linux.
>  > At the moment I have experience with Ubuntu but not PCLinuxOS.
>  > Is there anything that would give PCLinuxOS the edge over Ubuntu for
>  > this migration?
>  > Or vice-versa?
>
>  Reasons I use PCLinuxOS:
>
>  1. It starts out with KDE - I like the konsole tabs better than Gnome
>  Terminal's - just a personal preference from long association.  I'm
>  often ssh'ed into several servers at once, and the tabs are handy.
>
>  2. The MiniMe PCLinuxOS works well on an old 512MB flash drive, and I
>  can use it to build rpms for the Linux/Oracle servers I have in a
>  hospital - then when I shut down the system I booted off the flash drive
>  there are no HIPAA encrusted files left to dispose of.
>
>  3. Makes a nice, compact guest os in VMware, when I have to boot windows
>  to run a wireless firewall client.

I'm confused here. I tried to install PCLimuxOS as a guest OS in
VMware Server with no success.
After three failures I read the docs and could not find that PCLinuxOS
was a supported guest OS for VMware Server?
Neither was Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy which I tried unsuccessfully.
I must be missing something here.

>  4. Even the flash drive based MiniMe version works with the Intel
>  wireless card in my laptop without a bunch of configuring.

Al, you nailed it. MiniMe looks really interesting. It is next on my list.

I just finished playing with PuppyLinux and it is an excellent replacement,
or upgrade from, Windows. Wonderful fun to play with.

My real loves are PCLinuxOS, both the Gnome and KDE versions. Those are the
two finest implementations of Gnome and KDE I have seen to date.
I like either of those PCLinuxOS implementations better than Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy.

>  Reasons I use Ubuntu:
>
>  1. I starts with Gnome - for some things, I really like Gnome.  I also
>  like the default color scheme.
>
>  2. It doesn't seem to take as much RAM as rpm based distros like Fedora,
>  Red Hat, Mandriva, and openSUSE, and works really well on an old laptop
>  I have at work that only has 512MB RAM and a funky old ATI Radeon
>  Mobility chip that doesn't seem well supported by any other distro.
>
>  3. There's a native Ubuntu TrueCrypt whole disk encryption package that
>  works well on the laptop in the sentence directly above.

Ubuntu still has a hands down edge in package management, updates and their
Firefox browser.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Ubuntu browser and
Firefox with NoScript? That is what I run on openSUSE and it sucks
relative to the Ubuntu Firefox.