[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 05:47:14 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Pearson wrote:
>  > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>

> >>  3. Makes a nice, compact guest os in VMware, when I have to boot windows
>  >>  to run a wireless firewall client.
>  >
>  > I'm confused here. I tried to install PCLimuxOS as a guest OS in
>  > VMware Server with no success.
>  > After three failures I read the docs and could not find that PCLinuxOS
>  > was a supported guest OS for VMware Server?
>  > Neither was Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy which I tried unsuccessfully.
>  > I must be missing something here.
>
>  I don't know what you did, but I was able to boot a Linux From Scratch
>  live CD in VMware Workstation 5.5 and build an entire LFS system there.
>   Works fine.
>
>  I don't know much about VMware Server.
>
>   -- Bruce
>  --

Thanks, Bruce.
I am looking into what it is I don't know or understand.
There are VMware Player appliances for PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu 7.10 which
means it got installed somewhere, somehow.

I've been meaning to ask you about the differences between LFS and the
PCLinuxOS MiniMe.
When I looked at building an LFS image (kernel + utilities + apps,
like GNU/Linux),
it looked like most of it would have to be "generic" Linux packages.
To me this meant compiled from source. Not a bad thing and a great
learning tool but time consuming for me.
I'm the guy who spends all his time fixing and enhancing the IDE tool
and never gets around to writing the software.
MiniME seems to start with a core of PCLinuxOS packages.
Then it is a DIY "Roll Your Own" from off the shelf packages after that.

Any thoughts?