[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 11:13:55 CDT 2008

Robert Pearson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask you about the differences between LFS and the
> PCLinuxOS MiniMe.

Sorry, I don't know a thing about PCLinuxOS MiniMe, so I can't tell you
the differences.

> When I looked at building an LFS image (kernel + utilities + apps,
> like GNU/Linux),
> it looked like most of it would have to be "generic" Linux packages.

Well yes, they are "generic" packages, but most distros use the same
ones.  The may configure them differently or make some minor patches.
The big difference between LFS and "normal" distros is that updates are
made be getting a new tarball and rebuilding.  The "normal" distros may
do some things to support their package managers.  They also tend to
break things up with normal and -devel files.  When you do a tarball,
you always get everything.

> To me this meant compiled from source. Not a bad thing and a great
> learning tool but time consuming for me.

It is the first time, but gets faster with experience.  It will never be
as fast as apt-get though.  OTOH, you get much more control.

  -- Bruce