[SATLUG] 1984

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 00:17:19 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 23:26 -0500, Will Southworth wrote:

> 1984 was written by George Orwell.
> Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451.

I stand corrected for the second time, thank you. If that is the only
criticism I receive tonight then I consider myself a fortunate man.

> This has very little to do with linux or satlug. Let's get back on track and
> take this flame bait private.

Actually, the point hidden in all this is very relevant to the list.
There are some very intelligent and learned people on this list. This is
a city with a long military history and many people on this list are
serving in the military, have served in the military or are working for
the government in some capacity.

I would caution everyone that we must be wary of blind technolust
without some sense of the intended use of a technology. The BigDog
project does represent an amazing technical achievement by man to able
to make such a robot. But I believe the geeks/nerds (I use the terms
lovingly) that were tasked to build such a beast have been seduced into
doing it for the wrong reasons. Any project funded by DARPA will surely
be intended for military use, and as is the case in these times, will
most likely trickle down into local law enforcement. Which is to say
that it will ultimately be pointed at the rest of us. We should be
mindful of this as we watch the films of its amazing movements.

As geeks we love to tinker (see the Puppy Linux thread) and we love to
make the automatons dance with our computer magic, but we must be
mindful of the purpose for which some things are built. In every robot
story I know from science fiction, there is always a mention of the
previous generation of robots that did much damage before people managed
to get things back under control. As a freedom loving human being I
would prefer not to be faced with a future where robots were out to harm
me. Watching the BigDog movies, I get a sense that we are in for rough
times ahead.