[SATLUG] Need help with KateOS

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:55:45 CDT 2008

2008/3/20 Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com>:
> [...]
>  # above, so your login command can handle different sessions.
>  # see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sources
>  #sessions            xfce,icewm,wmaker,blackbox
>
>  # Executed when pressing F11 (requires imagemagick)
>  screenshot_cmd      import -window root /slim.png
>
>  # welcome message. Available variables: %host, %domain
>  welcome_msg         Welcome to KateOS
>
>  # shutdown / reboot messages
>  shutdown_msg       The system is halting...
>  reboot_msg         The system is rebooting...
>
>  # default user, leave blank or remove this line
>  # for avoid pre-loading the username.
>  #default_user        simone
>
>  # current theme, use comma separated list to specify a set to
>  # randomly choose from
>  current_theme       default
>
>  # Lock file
>  lockfile            /var/run/slim.lock
>
>  # Log file
>  #logfile             /var/log/slim.log
>
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>  and I also found the xdm-config file:
>

>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  ! $Xorg: xdm-conf.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
>  ! $XdotOrg: $
>  !
>  !
>  !
>  !
>  ! $XFree86: xc/programs/xdm/config/xdm-conf.cpp,v 1.10 2002/11/30
>  19:11:32 herrb Exp $
>  !
>

>  DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/log/xdm.log
>  DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/run/xdm.pid
>  DisplayManager.keyFile:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
>  DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
>  DisplayManager.accessFile:      /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
>  DisplayManager*resources:       /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
>  DisplayManager.willing:         su nobody -c /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
>  ! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
>  ! X terminals may not be configured that way, so they will require
>  ! individual resource settings.
>  DisplayManager*authorize:       true
>  !
>  DisplayManager*chooser:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/chooser
>  DisplayManager*startup:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
>  DisplayManager*session:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
>  DisplayManager*reset:           /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset
>  DisplayManager*authComplain:    true
>  ! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
>  DisplayManager._0.setup:        /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
>  DisplayManager._0.startup:      /usr/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
>  DisplayManager._0.reset:        /usr/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
>
>  DisplayManager*loginmoveInterval:       10
>
>  ! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
>  ! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
>  DisplayManager.requestPort:     0
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Suggestions will be greatly appreciated and the solution, if found, will
>  probably become a tutorial on my website (with credit where due).  :)

Does this sound like it is relevant to your problem?

"Bruce Dubbs to San show details 4/19/06

Travis H. wrote:
> On 4/18/06, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:
>>> I can put ". $HOME/.profile" in .xsession, in which case it gets run
>>> twice, but it still isn't helping get the login environment to the
>>> child sub-shells.
>
> One point here is that gdm isn't the parent of kdeinit, so that
> technically it can't pass an environment down to it.

It's not?  Then what process starts kdeinit?  I don't use ?dm myself.  I
prefer to start in run level 3 and run startx so I can't check it out.

What I *think* the process is that init runs ?dm, which runs as root,
and that process launches kde.  On my system, xdm has:

startup=$HOME/.xsession
resources=$HOME/.Xresources

if [ -s "$startup" ]; then
       if [ -x "$startup" ]; then
               exec "$startup"
       else
               exec /bin/sh "$startup"
       fi
else
       if [ -r "$resources" ]; then
               xrdb -load "$resources"
       fi
       exec xsm
fi

What I would do is create a ~/.xsession with:
------------
#!/bin/bash

source ~/.bash_profile
if [ -r ~/.Xresources ]; then
               xrdb -load "~/.Xresources
fi
exec xsm

For KDE, the final line would be
 exec startkde

 -- Bruce"

If it is I would search the Satlug mail archives for "startx".
HTH