[SATLUG] Home NAS Solutions

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:13:35 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Personally, I don't use a dedicated NAS, all I did was buy a 2 port
>  >  SATA PCI card and loaded my home server with 2 SATA drives. Card cost
>  >  me $20 at All Systems Go and each drive I already had. Is that cheap
>  >  enough for you Ed? ;)
>  Jeremy,
>
>  Unfortunately, I don't have that expandability, or the drives.  :)
>  I'm going to need something external unfortunatley, but thank you very
>  much for the reply.

Duh, I just thought of something. I also have a NSLU2. Got it off
Amazon for $120. It allows you to connect an external USB2.0 drive.
There's a number of firmware hacks for it. I used the Debian firmware
and its my new play toy. $120 for the device and another $100 or so
for external USB2 300GB drive. Is *that* cheap enough?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility