[SATLUG] 1984, Robots, the Military and Technology

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:54:19 CDT 2008

I know I haven't chimed in on this one yet, but I love these sort of
discussions.  I do read every post to threads like this, and I'm glad people
discuss issues like this.  One of the fundamental values of the FOSS
movement is that information should be free (both as in beer and freedom)
and I believe that freedom is a basic human need.  No organization should
have power over someone because they have more information about that person
than said person has about the organization.  There should either be 100%
bi-directional transparency or it should be blind both ways.  It's time
these organizations realized that they can't have their cake and eat it
too.  The great thing about FOSS is that it promotes this type of
transparency to encourage collective education and effort.  You can't go
wrong with that.

Ernest