[SATLUG] 1984, Robots, the Military and Technology

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Mar 21 14:01:59 CDT 2008

> Todd, years ago we had a satlug-etc list just for this, but it was
> never used. People still kept posting to Satlug.
I am aware of this point but I think that the OT list is worth
considering again.  Past performance need not dictate future outcomes.
Plus it gives our community a way of enforcing the segregation of tech
topics from et all topics.

> Plus there are
> hundreds or thousands of lists hosted elsewhere that people can post
> to. I don't see the point of a LUG hosting or sponsoring an off topic
> list.
The problem with this is that those lists don't represent SATLUG as a
community they represent other communities which we as individuals may
or may not participate in.  I personally do not fear the diversity of
thought within SATLUG I find it refreshing.  The point therefore is that
we discuss our divergent opinions within the market place of ideas be
they tech related or political, social, economic, or philosophical. As I
noted earlier the currently accepted definitions of Free Software and
Open Source software Illustrate how these ideas intersect with the
technology and are therefore relevant to the SATLUG community.

Todd