[SATLUG] 1984, Robots, the Military and Technology

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:03:29 CDT 2008

Why don't we just label posts that go off topic as [OT]...then people can
set up their filters to ignore them if they wish.  Personally, I just
archive topics I don't care to participate in or delete them all together.
It doesn't bother me one bit if someone posts something off topic.  I know
this is a Linux list, but above that, we are all friends of one sort or
another, so it's natural that we would talk to fellow Linux-ers about other
things to gain other perspectives.  If the problem is too pervasive or it
offends anyone, just label those as [OT] and people can ignore those.  That
seems like the most sensible solution.  I know that there are a lot of
people that already do that.  I just don't want to see any sort of
'censorship' based on the content of a post.  Think of it like your cable
service...they are going to stream all the content to your set, but it's
your right to ignore it or block it.  No harm done.

Ernest