[SATLUG] some observations of Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 6

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Mar 21 15:33:52 CDT 2008

well my new laptop (lenovo y510), my old laptop (toshiba a105-4164), and
home built Mythtv server are now running Hardy A6.  That said this is
only true for the i386 not the amd_64 version.  Thus far my experience
with 64 bit hardy is very similar to that of 64 bit Gutsy , very
frustrating and unstable. One of the big surprises with Hardy was I was
able to use the web cam that comes on the lenovo y510.  Thus far both
skpe and cheese pick up the camera without problem.  Only problem I have
is with the y510 and hardy thus far is the subwoofer is a no go.  rest
of the sound works nice but no subwoofer.  when I get the time I will
recompile and install alsa to see if that helps.
I also noticed the following post on UbuntuForums
apparently Hardy will be the next LTS release for Ubuntu. I guess that
means that I can get off the 6 month upgrade cycle and still keep my eye
candy.  sure I could have had it under dapper but as a novice it always
seemed more hassle then it was worth to get it to run under dapper.
another thing that impressed me was that the restricted drivers manager
noticed my 8800gt and installed the correct driver.  No need to use envy
or automatix2 or heaven forbid attempt to compile and install myself.

One final quirk I have noticed with the Y510 is that my screen dimmer is
reversed.  when I turn it up the screen goes down but the graphic marks
it as being turned up.  I expect that it will be fixed in a month or so
with another update and so it doesn't bother me that much.  Thus far I
grade Ubuntu hardy Alpha6 a A

Todd