[SATLUG] some observations of Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 6

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:01:36 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 3:33 PM, toddwbucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> well my new laptop (lenovo y510), my old laptop (toshiba a105-4164), and
>  home built Mythtv server are now running Hardy A6.  That said this is
>  only true for the i386 not the amd_64 version.  Thus far my experience
>  with 64 bit hardy is very similar to that of 64 bit Gutsy , very
>  frustrating and unstable. One of the big surprises with Hardy was I was
>  able to use the web cam that comes on the lenovo y510.  Thus far both
>  skpe and cheese pick up the camera without problem.  Only problem I have
>  is with the y510 and hardy thus far is the subwoofer is a no go.  rest
>  of the sound works nice but no subwoofer.  when I get the time I will
>  recompile and install alsa to see if that helps.
>  I also noticed the following post on UbuntuForums
>  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716881
>  apparently Hardy will be the next LTS release for Ubuntu. I guess that
>  means that I can get off the 6 month upgrade cycle and still keep my eye
>  candy.  sure I could have had it under dapper but as a novice it always
>  seemed more hassle then it was worth to get it to run under dapper.
>  another thing that impressed me was that the restricted drivers manager
>  noticed my 8800gt and installed the correct driver.  No need to use envy
>  or automatix2 or heaven forbid attempt to compile and install myself.
>
>  One final quirk I have noticed with the Y510 is that my screen dimmer is
>  reversed.  when I turn it up the screen goes down but the graphic marks
>  it as being turned up.  I expect that it will be fixed in a month or so
>  with another update and so it doesn't bother me that much.  Thus far I
>  grade Ubuntu hardy Alpha6 a A

Thanks for the update Todd. I'm currently thinking of switching to
Ubuntu for our distro of choice. Currently we're basing it on Slack 12
and I've done some additions like automounting of USB drives and CDROM
devices, but still can't get it to display an icon on the Desktop.
I've tried 7.10 on my laptop and it was pretty easy to use.

What about wireless? Common adaptors supported out of the box? What
about wireless NICs that need proprietary firmware like the ipw
series?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu