[SATLUG] 1984, Robots, the Military and Technology

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:42:08 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 14:32 -0500, Jeremy Mann wrote:

> Ok great, thanks for the clarification. I'll start posting TMZ and
> Perez Hilton articles tomorrow since I feel its in our "inherent
> philosophical and social" interests to do so.

That really is taking things too far. First of all, you had posted your
Harley questions without changing the subject line, which would have
given everyone a heads up about the subject you were posting about. When
I was posting a reply to the original post about BigDog, I did
originally keep it on topic. I was voicing my concern that something
like BigDog represents a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to
those things controlling the populous in the streets. My response was
neither random, nor off topic. Nor was my post that Lance responded to,
or the one I that I shot back to him after that.

Linux and open source software is more than firewalls and TCP sockets.
It's also graphics and hardware and programming languages and
specifications and so much more than that even. Personally, I couldn't
give two shakes about the NAS thread that was recently started, but you
know what, I delete those messages when I see them. I haven't raised any
fuss about seeing the posts on that topic and the bandwidth they
consume. I just delete them. They don't interest me and I delete them
and go about my merry way.

This is a list about Linux and Open Source, the BigDog robot appears to
run some of form of Linux, and the technical and philosophical
ramifications of such projects have been discussed on this list. It is
my opinion that this thread has been on, or very near, the topic on hand
throughout it's existence. I think all this talk about an OT list is
completely unnecessary, and those discussing such a topic should also
change the subject line of their emails to reflect the topic they are
discussing.

And as for the immature comment above, Jeremy, all I have to say is that
1) nobody is posting whole articles on the list, and 2) if the topic
that Perez is discussing begins as a Linux or technology related thread,
bring it on. Oh, and next time you have a Harley question, perhaps you
might want to change the subject line so that your questions and their
answers can be more easily searchable in the future.

~Nate