[SATLUG] some observations of Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 6

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:43:03 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for the update Todd. I'm currently thinking of switching to
>  Ubuntu for our distro of choice. Currently we're basing it on Slack 12
>  and I've done some additions like automounting of USB drives and CDROM
>  devices, but still can't get it to display an icon on the Desktop.
>  I've tried 7.10 on my laptop and it was pretty easy to use.
>
>  What about wireless? Common adaptors supported out of the box? What
>  about wireless NICs that need proprietary firmware like the ipw
>  series?

Todd,

Ditto on the update.  I'm happy to say that I've upgraded my AMD64 and
my Gateway laptop to Hardy.  There's only one thing that I'm
disappointed in.  Sun Java6 plugin doesn't look to be ported to AMD64,
and my not ever be.  I've downloaded and installed icedtea-java7, but
it doesn't seem to work properly.  Won't display the pages at java.com
that's supposed to detect your java version, nor will it display the
animated weather maps at www.noaa.gov.

Jeremy,

I'm happy to say that it detected and used my Linksys USB Nic, but on
that note, I had to constantly keep stopping the network, pulling the
stick, and putting it into a different USB port and then restart the
network.  This could be due to a bad USB NIC, but I haven't had the
chance to test that theory yet.  Other than that, if you have NVIDIA
drivers, then I'd suggest sticking with the ones that Ubuntu loads
natively.  The latest and greatest don't seem to be compatible with a
default Ubuntu Hardy install.

Ed