[SATLUG] Apologies and olive branches.

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:47:35 CDT 2008

I wouldn't worry about it Ed.  This happens every so often on this list and
it eventually dies out.  People just get worked up because someone says
something that they don't agree with (passionately) or that they
(passionately) believe should not be on this list.  Every time this happens,
I remember the phrase (and I'm paraphrasing loosely) 'True genius is the
ability to hold two conflicting ideas in your mind at the same time without
imploding.'  This, increasingly, has become the problem with America today.
The day that the majority of people can hold multiple seemingly conflicting
points of view and do so without mental turpitude, we will have reached the
peak of human civilization.  Unfortunately, the world chooses to yield to
cognitive dissonance instead.  I have no shame in saying that this is
largely due to universities becoming businesses rather than places of true
meaningful education.  I frequently tell people that, in retrospect, my
undergraduate (and even more so graduate) degree was a waste of time and
money.  Had I known then what I know now...

Ernest