[SATLUG] 1984

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Mar 21 23:56:52 CDT 2008

On 3/21/08, Hector Bojorquez wrote:

>  Darpa, and army,  had very little use for TCP/IP.
>  A book called "The Dream Machine" - describes in detail how unimpressed the
>  army was with TCP.

Had.  I was there.  My boss was one of the guys who put the final
nails into the coffin of OSI and GOSIP, and go to do so in public in
front of a lot of other people at a major conference.  He felt damn
good about that.

I felt damn good when I was able to finally convince the developers
of what was then the next-generation SIPRnet classified network that
they should use DNS instead of HOST.TXT tables, and they should use
real IP addresses assigned to them by the real NIC, instead of just
pulling out of their ass whatever IP addresses they felt like they
wanted.  That was one of my last major successes before I left DISA
and the basement of the Pentagon.

Now that the Internet has gone commercial, and that the Air Force
Cyber Command has been created, I know that they are much more
interested in the topic.

But none of this changes the fact that DOD and ARPA/DARPA paid for
the early development of the Internet, and how that obviously makes
it inherently evil and how it must be stamped out of existence.