[SATLUG] Home NAS Solutions

John C satlugacct at jchampion.com
Sat Mar 22 10:41:27 CDT 2008

Ed Coates wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not looking to start any flame wars, just trying to see what
> people are running in the Home NAS arena, why you picked it, and what
> your experiences are with it.
>
> I've been looking at the Western Digital "My Book" collection, and
> just found the Netgear series.  I'm looking for something like a
> multiple drive chasis that I can use firewire possibly to connect to.
> I don't need any fluff like it having a built in OS/Web browser, etc
> that I would probably never use.  I just need something that Ubuntu
> will recognize and use and that might be possible to mirror.  Oh yeah,
> and price is a factor  :)
>
> Ed

Hi,

You should stay away from Western Digital NAS solutions as they are
designed to disallow sharing media files even on your own network. You
can read about it here...

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/western-digital.html

I use an older p2-450 with a raid card and a CentOS with four Hitachi
500GB drives inside of it with one 80GB drive for the OS. It works great
as a file server and a web server.