[SATLUG] 1984, Robots, the Military and Technology

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Mar 22 13:25:03 CDT 2008

On 3/22/08, Borries Demeler wrote:

>  Which solution would that be?

I think it's called Adobe Connect.

>                                 I know that at least the Texas Advanced
>  Computing Center from UT has AccessGrid installed, because I conferenced
>  with them before using AG.

Yeah, I saw that on the website.  However, they also say they're a
very small satellite node, capable of handling only a few people.

To cover all of UT Austin, we'd need a much larger installation,
probably something like what UTHSC has.

>                              I also AG with people in the Biochemistry dept.
>  Our university officially supports polycomb, but is also interested in
>  AccessGrid. The latter is more of a roll-your-own type implementation here.

I'm just hoping that I'm able to get into this one before the
decision is set in concrete, although I fear I'm already too late.

Once the VPs start talking amongst themselves and other VPs at other
places as to whatever their favourite proprietary commercial solution
is, or they get that "Gee whiz, why can't we do that?" attitude, all
reason gets thrown out the window.