[SATLUG] Apologies and olive branches.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Mar 22 13:30:38 CDT 2008

On 3/22/08, Travis Runty wrote:

>  lol, when did this mailing list get "hostile"?  I personally see the forum
>  suggestion as a much easier method to seperate the junk off-topic discussion
>  and the actual useful tech discussion...  Obviously this is only a
>  suggestion, just as the "tags" suggestion was...  So, if you dont like the
>  suggestion, OH WELL.  From what I have seen it is hard to actually enforce
>  policies over a mailing list while within a forum there is much more
>  control...

I am the current primary postmaster and listmaster for python.org,
and especially the mailman-* mailing lists -- you know, the lists
operated by and for the people who develop the Mailman software
you're using for this list?

We have over a hundred lists, some of which are quite large in size
(thousands of recipients) and see a lot of traffic hundreds of unique
posts per day), with a total amount of traffic somewhere in the
500,000 to one million message range per day.

It is possible to exert quite a lot of control over the lists, if you
choose to do so.  Mailman makes that pretty easy.  Mailman also makes
it pretty easy to just let things run on their own, if you want to
take a more laid-back approach.  Control-wise, there is absolutely
nothing you can do in a web-based forum that you cannot also do in

It's the choice of the listowner(s) and list moderator(s) as to how
much control they do or do not choose to exercise.  In the case of
SATLUG, the listowner(s)/modertor(s) appear to take a more laid-back

If you don't like that, then you need to talk to your
listowner(s)/moderator(s), or you need to work to set up your own
resources somewhere else that are operated in a manner more to your