[SATLUG] Apologies and olive branches.

Travis Runty trunty at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 14:32:01 CDT 2008

Very interesting read.  Please don't take my suggestions as anti satlug or
even anti mailing list, i was just expressing my opinion that a forum is
much easier to follow, especially on lengthy discussions that branch off
this direction or that when people accidentally or intentionally change the
subject throughout the course of the conversation.  Either way, I'll
continue to utilize this list as I have gained more knowledge than junk and
I believe that people will continue to police themselves properly for the
most part as they have done in the past.

Also, David, I in no way was implying that you should stop with your
signature, I was just stating that signatures are everywhere you go...
Also, I utilize gmail so for the most part the previous comments of the
emails are suppressed but it still "threads" the discussion together so I
still scroll through signatures.  Again, I in no way mind anyones
signatures, just stating that wherever you go there are signatures.

Either way, BRING ON THE TECH!

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
wrote:

> On 3/22/08, Travis Runty wrote:
>
> >  lol, when did this mailing list get "hostile"?  I personally see the
> forum
> >  suggestion as a much easier method to seperate the junk off-topic
> discussion
> >  and the actual useful tech discussion...  Obviously this is only a
> >  suggestion, just as the "tags" suggestion was...  So, if you dont like
> the
> >  suggestion, OH WELL.  From what I have seen it is hard to actually
> enforce
> >  policies over a mailing list while within a forum there is much more
> >  control...
>
> I am the current primary postmaster and listmaster for python.org,
> and especially the mailman-* mailing lists -- you know, the lists
> operated by and for the people who develop the Mailman software
> you're using for this list?
>
> We have over a hundred lists, some of which are quite large in size
> (thousands of recipients) and see a lot of traffic hundreds of unique
> posts per day), with a total amount of traffic somewhere in the
> 500,000 to one million message range per day.
>

> It is possible to exert quite a lot of control over the lists, if you
> choose to do so.  Mailman makes that pretty easy.  Mailman also makes
> it pretty easy to just let things run on their own, if you want to
> take a more laid-back approach.  Control-wise, there is absolutely
> nothing you can do in a web-based forum that you cannot also do in
> Mailman.
>

> It's the choice of the listowner(s) and list moderator(s) as to how
> much control they do or do not choose to exercise.  In the case of
> SATLUG, the listowner(s)/modertor(s) appear to take a more laid-back
> approach.
>
> If you don't like that, then you need to talk to your
> listowner(s)/moderator(s), or you need to work to set up your own
> resources somewhere else that are operated in a manner more to your
> liking.

Travis Runty
210.391.3949
www.travisrunty.com