[SATLUG] Re: 1984- now AccessGrid VIDEO conferencing

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Mar 22 15:50:24 CDT 2008

On 3/22/08, Borries Demeler wrote:

>>  I think it's called Adobe Connect.
>
>  If it is the product I was told about, I don't think it supports multicast
>  video conferencing.

I would not be at all surprised.

>                      You pretty much need MC if you want to effectively
>  VC with a bunch of different sites and not consume your entire bandwidth.
>  Not everyone's network supports MC, but you can always use a MC bridge.

Lessons learned from long ago with the mbone and USENIX conferences
that were broadcast live.  Sigh....

>>  Yeah, I saw that on the website.  However, they also say they're a
>>  very small satellite node, capable of handling only a few people.
>
>  No, I don't think so. They have a complete VC package there for their
>  conference room, so that was well equipped last time I checked.

Right, but it's just for their conference room, as opposed to a
proper venue server, etc....

>  UTHSCSA doesn't have an installation, per se. What we have is a
>  venue server on a multicast gigabit link with access to Internet2
>  that allows us to host any number of simultaneous conferences.

We're also connected to Internet2 and NLR through something called
HEARN, I think?  I'm told it's a 10GB link, but I'm not sure I
believe that.

>  We also have our own mobile node that we can move into any
>  conference room and set up for AG conferencing. We also have our
>  own MC brige, thanks to Jeremy.

That's the kind of stuff we'd need.

>  Several departments at UTHSCSA have their own conference room
>  equipment for VC, but most people probably use personal nodes (usb cam +
>  microphone/headset without any echo cancelling equipment) directly from
>  their desktop/laptops.  I routinely use such a setup from home when I
>  don't feel like coming to work. Jeremy and I use this all the time. I
>  also use such personal node to VC an entire workshop which is taught
>  monthly - from the comfort of my office, with participants all across
>  the US and Europe.

Sigh.  Would that we could get there.

>  Hey, maybe you could set up a demo for these guys with us, and we can
>  demonstrate some of the really cool features (high-dev video streaming,
>  VC recording of all audio and video streams, etc. and convince the
>  guys to take a second look at this outstanding freeware package from
>  Argonne National Labs (developed with NSF funding). This is how we
>  got our IT people interested in it, just give them a bunch of demos.

The SVP who suggested Adobe Connect is going to be at our staff
meeting this next week, and I'll bring up the subject then.

I definitely would like to do some testing with it myself, even if I
can't get anyone else involved.

>  Even if you don't want to set up your own venue server, it's not
>  a problem, you can use any of the public servers, like Argonne, and
>  simply reserve a virtual conference room, or just use ours. We have
>  a gig link up to Austin, so that's a whole lot more than you would
>  ever need. Ahh, and it runs on Linux, Mac, Windows, and other Unix
>  platforms.

Yeah, I've seen your page on it, and I've quoted that to our
Director, and I'm sure that she's going to warn our SVP about me
being likely to pounce on him with regard to this subject.

Dunno if that's going to carry any weight, though.  We'll see.

>              It's mostly written in python.

Ahh.  Written in Python.  Oddly enough, there's a buzzword that I
might be able to use to help get the thing in the door.