[SATLUG] Home NAS Solutions

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 18:46:18 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I'm not looking to start any flame wars, just trying to see what
>  people are running in the Home NAS arena, why you picked it, and what
>  your experiences are with it.
>
>  I've been looking at the Western Digital "My Book" collection, and
>  just found the Netgear series.  I'm looking for something like a
>  multiple drive chasis that I can use firewire possibly to connect to.
>  I don't need any fluff like it having a built in OS/Web browser, etc
>  that I would probably never use.  I just need something that Ubuntu
>  will recognize and use and that might be possible to mirror.  Oh yeah,
>  and price is a factor  :)
>
>  Ed
>  --

Interesting thread in the Satlug Archives on this:
"Linux-based home NAS" first post on 11/10/07 by Sean Carolan. 21 posts total.
Here are 4 boxes mentioned in this thread:
[Kuro Box]
http://www.revogear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KURO%2DBOX%2FPRO
[zonbu]
http://www.zonbu.com/support/manual.htm#fas
[fit-PC]
http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/specification.html
[NorhTec]
http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjr/index.html

If the DIY or home-brew approach appeals take a look at:
[FreeNAS]
http://www.freenas.org/
This is mentioned in the Satlug archives
[Openfiler]
http://www.openfiler.com/
Openfiler reference from another mailinglist:
"You also might look at the openfiler project, its Centos based and will do
just what you want (making the box a NAS), it also make the box an iSCSI
target if you so wish.
http://www.openfiler.com/

> Okay, a little background:
>
> I've got this old box from the office... a server with a failed drive
> that is way out of warranty and will not be used by the business for
> anything.  So what do I do with this?  New toy!
>
> This box is an iomega NAS box.  It came with Windows 2000 installed and
> 4 123GB drives where a small amount of each partition was set up for the
> OS and the rest of the HD space was configured as a software RAID5.
> Fairly simple.  The hardware is a relatively simple system board with
> on-board video, 512MB RAM, floppy controller, two IDE ports and all
> that.  The system board also has a HighPoint IDE RAID controller which
> is really just another software RAID which means two more IDE
> controllers with the expectation that software RAID drivers will be used
> on them... so yeah, 4 IDE ports.  This device also has some strange
> little device to interface the IDE ports to these removable drive trays.
>   (Interestingly, it interferes with trying to attach IDE devices
> addressed as "slave" somehow...)  Finally, there's two 10/100 ethernet
> ports and a PCI slot with a riser and an Adaptec SCSI RAID card. (not in
> use)
>
> So I want to do this under Linux (of course) and I bought 4 400GB drives
> from outpost.com.  (They're pretty cheap... )  I'm going to install
> CentOS on the box with the intent of using it as a means of serving up
> FTP, SMB and NFS services.  I'm giving some thought to how I might set
> up the partitioning and all that.  Initially, I'm just thinking of
> mimicking the previous scheme when it was running under Win2K.  In this
> case, each drive will have the same partition scheme:
>
> 100MB /boot,
> 2GB {swap},
> 4000MB /
> *everything else* /data
>
> The non-swap partitions should be RAID where /data would be a RAID5 and
> the other two RAID1.  CentOS didn't issue any complaints when I wanted
> to set everything up as RAID and then set the actual /boot, / and /data
> partitions up in the Linux software RAID.  I think the installation
> failed while files were copying because of a bad install DVD... (I'll
> check it in a bit and burn another one if needed)"

On another mailing list I am on, people were building DIY NAS boxes with
Small Form Factor (SFF) PC cases and uATX motherboards for about the
same price as Kuro Boxes.
Some were doing just Linux. Others were using Openfiler or FreeNAS.