[SATLUG] Re: 1984- now AccessGrid VIDEO conferencing

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Mar 23 03:24:54 CDT 2008

On 3/22/08, Jeremy Mann wrote:

>  I designed a system for a little under $2400 using off the shelf
>  parts. If you'd like I can send you the specifications of the system.

Indeed, that would be very interesting to see.  The more positive
information I am able to provide, the more likely I am to be
successful in at least getting it considered.

>  AG 3.1 offers multiple video codecs now including H.264, H.323, MPEG4,
>  DV and HDV. Note the H.323 is not compatible with Polycom or Tandberg
>  systems, but I did do a test a few weeks ago using Ekiga (was
>  GnomeMeeting) to connect to a Polycom system in New Hampshire. I'm
>  still coming up with a way to combine it into a AG session.

Very cool.

>  I did offer to test out the SAC network for a future SATLUG
>  presentation, but never heard back from Steve. He's probably
>  preoccupied with the Open Source Fest they're hosting.

Yeah, I thought I was supposed to be doing a few talks on Internet
e-mail, but I never heard back on that, and other things have come up
since so it turns out to be better for me this way.

>  What we have done with AG is quite interesting actually. We
>  participated in the 4th Annual Virtual Genomics Conference sponsored
>  by SDSU, this was in 2003. Since then, we've hosted a conference with
>  the members of HiPCAT, where the developers of AG, notably Thomas Uram
>  from Argonne, officially announced version 3.0.

I've mentioned the virtual conferences that have been hosted through AG.

Yes, I have already cribbed a lot of material from the UTHSC AG webpage.  ;-)

>  To see the mix of participants and schedules, please check out the
>  AG scheduler:
>
>  https://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu

Will do.  Thanks again!