[SATLUG] Re: 1984- now AccessGrid VIDEO conferencing

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 08:28:24 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> > >  I designed a system for a little under $2400 using off the shelf
>  > >  parts. If you'd like I can send you the specifications of the system.
>  >
>  > Indeed, that would be very interesting to see.  The more positive
>  > information I am able to provide, the more likely I am to be
>  > successful in at least getting it considered.
>
>  Hey Jeremy, why don't you post the link to your parts list with the
>  echo-cancelling PCI card setup to this list? You can probably post the
>  list on our AG wiki.

1 - P4 workstation, 1.8Ghz or better, 512 MB
1 - 17" LCD primary monitor
1 - Matrox G450 AGP dual output
1 - SOHO echo cancelling PCI card
1 - Alesis 6 channel mixer
2 - Shure tabletop microphones w/cables
2 - Sony PTZ 1100 camers
2 - 50 ft coax BNC video cables
2 - BNC to male RCA adaptors
1 - computer speakers

There has been talk on the AG list about using a ClearOne AccuMic
tabletop system instead of echo cancelling, mixer, mics and speakers.
Its a about the size of a small shoebox and offers all those abilities
in one. I would probably use this if I built another AG node.

Also, the microphones and cameras were given to us by the AV
department. When I asked for them, they said they had crates of these
laying around because they had just upgraded all video conferencing
rooms on campus.

The AG community also offers a hardware section dedicated to show
users what is known to work:

http://www.accessgrid.org/hardware

--
Jeremy Mann