[SATLUG] Where to begin

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 20:13:41 CDT 2008

Christopher Lovejoy wrote:
> I've been using Linux in various aspects of my Military Service for a few
> years now.  Truth be told,
> I'm still pretty lost on Linux use.  What I'd like to hear, is where can I
> start with.  What would be the best way to begin?

I can't speak for anyone else but what worked for us was a used computer
  (HP, Pavilion, 1.7 GHz Celeron w/512 MB of RAM) and a stack of live CD
ISO files I downloaded to my Win2K machine and burned.  I'm typing this
email on that same machine (1.8 GHz Duron w/512 MB of RAM) but it's no
longer running Win2K, it's running Debian Etch and our original "test
bed" is now my wife's PCLinuxOS machine.  Even if you don't have an
extra computer to play with, live CDs are a great way to start.  If you
don't have the means to burn them I, or in all probability, other
members of this list, will  gladly help you out.

The thing to do, is simply start.  It's hard to go wrong with Linux.