[SATLUG] Where to begin

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sun Mar 23 22:49:34 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 22:31 -0500, Tweeks wrote:
> On Sunday 23 March 2008 07:40:17 pm Christopher Lovejoy wrote:
> > I've been using Linux in various aspects of my Military Service for a few
> > years now.  Truth be told,
> > I'm still pretty lost on Linux use.  What I'd like to hear, is where can I
> > start with.  What would be the best way to begin?
>
> Install Ubuntu (great OS for the new folks and gurus alike), and the apps in
> this slide are the ones that most closely match what people use on Windows:
> 	http://xcssa.org/files/files/LINUX-DESKTOP-2008-03-22/img31.html

I agree Ubuntu is great but you might want to check out Distrowatch.org
as just about all of the major distro's are listed there.  Also it helps
if you have a general idea of what it is you want to do.  Many of the
distros are specifically focused to particular tasks.  If however you
don't have anything in mind then I would recommend starting with
something like PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, or Fedora as the support within these
communities is above pretty responsive.  Again much of this you can sort
out for yourself by looking through distrowatch.org.

Todd