[SATLUG] "The Linux Desktop" OSFest presentation

Mike Ester comptech3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 05:56:14 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Borries Demeler <
demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> Haven't found anything yet. Is there anybody on this list who uses gnucash
> entirely for their finances? Just curious what your experience is with
> this.
> Last time I checked it seemed you need to have a complete accountant
> training
> to be able to use this software, not to speak of be an expert in resolving
> dependencies.
>
> I use gnucash (in Ubuntu) and had no dependency issues. I also took a
class in financial accounting basics. You are correct about having a little
accounting background to effectively use gnucash. But you don't need to be a
CPA. It's not the fault of the tool. Prerequisite skills are needed before
any tool can be used effectively in accomplishing a complex task.

This may be a symptom of the times. We (the general public) have been lulled
into a sense of instant expertise. Obtaining word processing software does
not automatically make one an author. MS Access does not a database guru
make. Buying Snap On tools does not immediately qualify me to work on cars
or motorcycles. Owning presentation software (e.g. Powerpoint) does not make
one an effective public speaker or presenter without training and/or
experience.

Bruce, I like your idea of the #2 pencil.