[SATLUG] Where to begin

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 06:52:54 CDT 2008

Ernest De Leon wrote:
> Go with Ubuntu.  If you are afraid to custom partition and dual boot,
> 8.04Hardy (which is now in a ultra-stable beta) is able to be
> installed inside
> of windows through Wubi.  You will love it!  I use Ubuntu every day because
> 'it just works.'  I have actually started deploying all of my new Linux
> servers with Ubuntu as my standard distro and have even purchased 24x7x365
> support from Canonical (for those times that I am not around or I am too
> busy to track down the problem myself.)  The Ubuntu community (for free
> FORUM based help) is also second to none.  Ubuntu will definitely not let
> you down.
>
> Good luck.

I second this emotion.  I checked-out (then) Lindows (now Linspire),
Susse, and even tussled with Fedora before settling on Ubuntu.  When the
folk in here say "it just works," they're not fabricating.  At home and
at work, I have Windoze 2000, XP and Vista machines to
compare/contrast.  Ubuntu beats them all for functionality, cost,
recognition and use of legacy devices, and compatibility with Windoze
environments out-of-the-box.  (First load to online in 20 minutes!)
Ubuntu is my OS of choice now: I've been a satisfied user for over a
year now...

Cheers;
Ed