[SATLUG] Where to begin

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:01:30 CDT 2008

Even though I use Ubuntu 99% of the time, there are still some apps that I
use to backup my DVD collection that only run in windows.  I also use
photoshop in windows if I need something that GIMP does not provide.  For
these few winders only tasks, I just use a VM.  I've been working with
VMware since before it was available outside EMC (thanks to a friend who
worked there) and I love it, but recently I gave virtualbox a whirl.  Let me
say that I am really impressed with the speed and functionality of
virtualbox (and it's 100% OSS).  If you are worried about leaving windows,
don't.  Just spin up a VM and have it there just in case you need it for
some off the wall project.  Short of that, Ubuntu will take care of you.  If
you check out my blog in my sig, there are a number of posts on
virtualization to help you with that.