[SATLUG] Picking a distro

Don Wright wmail at wricomp.com
Mon Mar 24 10:49:45 CDT 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:44:23 -0500, Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I asked Ladislav Bodnar how many distros he's currently got listed on
>distrowatch and he replied:
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>You can get a fairly accurate estimate from the following links:
>
>http://distrowatch.com/search
>http://distrowatch.com/new
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Running a search with no designated criteria got me 351 hits.

Distrowatch.com is a place I visit frequently to keep up with new
releases for the SATLUG booth at the semi-monthly PC Show. At the bottom
of today's Distrowatch Weekly, you'll find:

DistroWatch database summary
    * Number of all distributions in the database: 564
    * Number of all active distributions in the database: 351
    * Number of discontinued distributions: 129
    * Number of distributions on the waiting list: 177

So that matches your search result. There are a growing number of
national distros, sponsored by governments or universities, as well as
topic-centered ones like 64 Studio for digital media production or the
new Physics-Live CD for science computation and simulation. Put a few
keywords in the search engine and find true love, or at least control
that pesky Redmond infestation.  --Don

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Tourist tongues on fire
over tacos at Mi Tierra. I watched HS bands glitter in the dark