[SATLUG] Another greeting...

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:54:02 CDT 2008

Welcome to the list.  How did your PS2 and Linux adventure go?  Sony was
nice enough to install a multi-boot-loader on the PS3 and allow you to
partition the HDD from within the system itself.  I am running Ubuntu on my
PS3, but the performance is a little on the slow side.  Although you are
allowed to use 6 of the 7 synergistic processing elements (SPEs), with the
7th locked down by the hypervisor, the 512 MB of RAM is divided equally
between CPU and GPU.  In essence, you are running a 6 core machine with 256
MB of RAM which isn't too fast.  I am planning on customizing DSL to go on
the unit, that should run pretty darn fast.  I have also tried several times
to unlock the hypervisor, but it seems to be locked at the hardware level.
The only reason that I can think for this to be is that the 7th SPE is
responsible for reading the security byte-code at the beginning of the game
discs to verify their authenticity before allowing the game code to load.
Perhaps you know someone who knows something about this at IBM? :)