[SATLUG] Dialup possibility

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Tue Mar 25 11:18:43 CDT 2008

Christopher.L.Lovejoy wrote:
> Another question for all you gurus,
>

> I use dial up, unfortunately, from home.  I would like to use my Linux to
> dial into PeoplePC(my dialup provider).  Any idea of how I could get this to
> work out, I would appreciate it.
>

> SPC. Christopher L Lovejoy
>
> SouthWest Information Operation Center
>
> Cyber Knights!
>
> United States Army Reserves

Christopher,

I used dial-up with Linux for many years and really never had any problems that
other people had.

I suppose that the first thing that I did was to select a compatable phone card.
  I know that many of the software phone cards had problems but I never used
one.  Also, the modems that attached through an RS-232 (and I supppose USB port)
always seem to work better.

The last several distros I used had a GUI application to configure the network
to and including a telephone card.

Additionally, I have always used Texas Networking (Texas.Net) as my ISP so I
think that this might have been part of my "good luck".

Walt