[SATLUG] F/OSS replacement for endnotes

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Mar 26 15:01:53 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 14:51 -0500, herb cee wrote:
> toddwbucy wrote:
> > Thanks Herb I have been looking for a good note taking software so I
> > will definitely look into tomboy.  However I am more in need of
> > something closer to endnote, which is used to create a bibliography
> > databases which can be used to create bibliographies in a number of
> > different academic journal styles.
> >

> Right, I have not used 'endnote', my use has always been just technical
> manuals and essays.  I have always used the built-in indexing and notes
> management for WordPerfect and I have not tested out that portion of
> OpenOffice, so that was why I loaded Tomboy to use in the meantime. Not
> a finished solution.
>
> I think there is an addition to OO to do it same as WP but I just
> dunno.  I have not tried to produce a finished work since starting this
> Linux trip. Maybe this year, lol.
> herb

I found this on the OO website.
"When will this wonderful facility be available ? new Development work
for Bibliographic enhancements to OpenOffice is expected to commence
from late 2007, and probably available for users in OpenOffice version
2.x/3.x (mid-late 2008 ???) see feature timeline. Also see a blog on
plans for Writer."  http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/

unfortunately though OO will not have a functioning biblio DB until 3.0
which will probably be released in the late fall of this year. by then
though I will be neck deep in references that need to be cataloged.

I have in the interim found Jlibrary
http://www.jlibrary.org/repositories/jlibrary

Ill give it a shot
Todd