John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Mar 27 13:56:51 CDT 2008

Not 100% clear what you are aiming for here, given that you did not provide
us with any useful information (Computer/Modem type, lsmod, lspci, relevant
dmesg output, any effort already attempted, etc).

If you want us to help, you will need to provide at least a subset of the
aforementioned items.  I would say that at the minimum please provide us the
computer model and modem model.  We will then probably follow up with
requests for lsmod -v and lspci outputs, assuming the modem is not a
softmodem.  I suspect that the modem is a soft-modem, given the overall
impression from your post.  As a result, likelihood for success is not too
high.  If we are lucky, the modem will be supported by
http://www.linuxant.com/company/ released drivers.  Otherwise, you will have
to buy/use a hardware modem (Onboard DSP and the like) with linux.

This will be true regardless of the distro choice.