[SATLUG] OT: a typical grad student question

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 28 12:32:16 CDT 2008

> one final question, in part this question touches on another...given
> that google is said to keep everything, Is this true? it seems to me
> that this is true and it is also true that the amount of data on the
> Internet is growing exponentially the it stands to reason that they will
> eventually run out of archival space. (Finite resources and all) How is
> google addressing this issue? Do they eventually destroy old data to
> make room for new or are they hoping that eventually technology will be
> able to address the problem though more efficient use of resources (i.e.
> building better archival storage which allows for greater data density)?
> I suspect that the answer is the latter?
>
> Todd

In answer to the final question about Google's storage methods: whatever
method and media they use is probably the least expensive they can find. The
secret to their longevity is probably more to do with regular backups to fresh
media. Most sites that keep 'sensitive' data stored keep the last three
backups, so if one goes bad, nothing is lost. Also, some sites keep multiple
copies of backups, with some of the copies stored offsite, in case of a
disaster at the main facility. In this manner, the longevity of the media is
not an issue, so long as they are in business and keep the backup cycle
active.