[SATLUG] OT: a typical grad student question

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 28 12:37:18 CDT 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:32:16 -0600
  "John Chalinder" <argiod at bresnan.net> wrote:

>> one final question, in part this question touches on another...given
>> that google is said to keep everything, Is this true? it seems to me
>> that this is true and it is also true that the amount of data on the
>> Internet is growing exponentially the it stands to reason that they will
>> eventually run out of archival space. (Finite resources and all) How is
>> google addressing this issue? Do they eventually destroy old data to
>> make room for new or are they hoping that eventually technology will be
>> able to address the problem though more efficient use of resources (i.e.
>> building better archival storage which allows for greater data density)?
>> I suspect that the answer is the latter?
>>
>> Todd
>

> In answer to the final question about Google's storage methods: whatever
>method and media they use is probably the least expensive they can find. The
>secret to their longevity is probably more to do with regular backups to
>fresh media. Most sites that keep 'sensitive' data stored keep the last three
>backups, so if one goes bad, nothing is lost. Also, some sites keep multiple
>copies of backups, with some of the copies stored offsite, in case of a
>disaster at the main facility. In this manner, the longevity of the media is
>not an issue, so long as they are in business and keep the backup cycle
>active.

Also, with the advent of nanotechnology, memory is now able to store 32GB of
data on a USB flash drive. Storage media is shrinking fast. Soon, perhaps all
my data will be stored on an RFID chip the size of a grain of rice, embedded
in my skull, hooked up to a nano scale quantum computer with wireless
interface and virtual keyboard projected as a 'heads up display' directly
wired to my retinas.