[SATLUG] problems with my raid setup

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Mar 28 15:23:41 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM, <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:

> I just reconfigured my RAID set up on my experimental box.  I reinstalled
> Ubuntu
> hardy with the alt cd and set up my RAID as follows:
> 2 320 gig hd RAID1 with LVM swap, /, and /home
> 2 320 gig hd RAID0 no LVM /var
> I have 1 200 gig hd with vista

SATA v PATA could play here.  What is the interface breakout of those
drives?

> when it came to installing the bootloader ubuntu suggested LILO however it
> did
> not find the vista drive - not a big deal I can still access by booting
> from
> the vista drive rather then from the RAID1.
> rebooted into Ubuntu and proceeded to upgrade and installed ubuntustudio
> which
> also upgraded linux to the -rt kernel.  however the instilation/upgrade
> didn't
> go so well. said I should manually run dpkg --configure -a I did so and
> got the
> following error:

<SNIP>

What are the partition layouts for the drives?  I am not sure if I have a
complete picture of the setup.

> I googled this one but haven't gotten anything very useful.  Thought maybe
> you
> guys might have some ideas

I am sure that it is related to drive discovery order.  mdadm can usually
overcome this type of issue, but the boot system can get tripped up,
especially GRUB.