[SATLUG] WoW players, anyone?

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 22:12:47 CDT 2008

I run WoW using Wine on both my desktop machine as well as my laptop, both
running Mandriva, the laptop being 64bit.
I'm on Bladefist realm almost every night, usually after 10pm, often well past
midnight.
I have no issues running WoW on either machine except lower performance on the
laptop due to integrated nvidia 7150M chip. I use 'wine WoW.exe -opengl' for
regular gameplay, but if there is a patch to be applied, I restart with the
default launcher "wine Launcher.exe"; else it has issues downloading the
patch.
Since my desktop machine is an Athlon-XP 2600 with nvidia 7300, and my laptop
has the integrated nvidia chip w/ shared memory, I use 1024x768 res. and turn
off annoying stuff like full-screen-glow. Runs pretty smooth on the desktop
machine and a little choppy, but playable on the laptop.
I don't have a mic, so I haven't tried voice chat. But I have enabled it and
can hear other players in the party with no issues.
I would definitely be interested in a guild with either SATLUG or other Linux
guild. I've asked around in-game about Linux users, but had no responses.