[SATLUG] OT(?sorta) Linksys WCG200 - DHCP wrong (or bad) address with routing and NAT turned on

Jennie Haywood jehaywood at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 00:08:23 CDT 2008

This has been incredibly frustrating.  Apparently, we had a power
outage last night.  Generally the router may go down but it comes back
up working.
Oh but not today.  So I start the normal troubleshooting measures.
Pinging gateways, doing traceroutes, getting into the user interface
on the router to see what
it thinks is going on.  The router was initially set up to get it's
WAN side address via DHCP, but after several hours of troubleshooting
and experimenting I found that I could make it work if I statically
set an IP address.

I've had several conversations with Grande's tech support  who have
been telling  me alternately , the hardware was "broken" and I needed
to call Linksys support OR we have no idea what the problem could be.
I find it hard to believe that it's "broken" when it *IS* receiving
and setting the IP address from a DHCP server
although the address seems not to have the correct information attached to it.
Plus it's such bad form for Grande's tech support guys to assume
you're an idiot, and you couldn't *possibly* know what you're talking
about if you're a woman. :(

SO - when the routing and NAT is turned on AND  I let it get the
address via DHCP, I get an address like 72.48.XX.XX, but I can't ping
out past the cable modem itself and NOTHING works (no Internet joy).
When I turn the routing and NAT *off* and let the computer get the IP
address I get an address like 66.90.XX.XX and everything works (we
have Internet joy).
When I turn the routing and NAT *on* and set the IP address to static
and set it to the 66.90.XX.XX - everything works (again we have
Internet joy).

Anyone else encountered anything like this?

--
Jennie Haywood
----