[SATLUG] OT(?sorta) Linksys WCG200 - DHCP wrong (or bad) address with routing and NAT turned on

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:08:47 CDT 2008

Jennie Haywood wrote:
> This has been incredibly frustrating.  Apparently, we had a power
> outage last night.  Generally the router may go down but it comes back
> up working.
> Oh but not today.  {snip}
>
> SO - when the routing and NAT is turned on AND  I let it get the
> address via DHCP, I get an address like 72.48.XX.XX, but I can't ping

Sounds like there's a routing issue between Grande and another cable
company.  Might be happening if they're sharing equipment and/or lines.
72.48.0.0-72.48.31.255 is a group of the Grande-Frisco (Grade-05)
network, whereas 66.90.0.0-66.90.63.255 is a group of SmartCityOn-Line
out of Florida.  Looks and sounds like you are experiencing
crossed-lines somewhere up-channel from you. Perhaps one of the DHCP
servers "went wild," or maybe there's been a rogue server injected into
the network somewhere.
> out past the cable modem itself and NOTHING works (no Internet joy).
> When I turn the routing and NAT *off* and let the computer get the IP
> address I get an address like 66.90.XX.XX and everything works (we
> have Internet joy).
> When I turn the routing and NAT *on* and set the IP address to static
> and set it to the 66.90.XX.XX - everything works (again we have
> Internet joy).
>

> Anyone else encountered anything like this?

I've had it happen where Time Warner and AT&T have crossed lines
up-channel, about three years ago, and it caused no end of grief, with a
whole mobile home park believing it had bad equipment -- until TWC
straightened out their mess.  Of course, they made no appologies to
customers out several hundred dollars in troubleshooting and replacement
equipment...  <sigh>  I just pushed s static IP for the time and kept on
truckin'...

Cheers;
Ed