[SATLUG] Installing Solaris on an older PC

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Sun Mar 30 10:05:07 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:23:16AM -0500, satlugacct at jchampion.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an older whitebox PIII 866 with 512mb of ram. I would like to
> install Solaris on it to learn and to play with. I see where the system
> requirements state that this is the minimum for a working system.

It should perform reasonably.

> So would the performance be less than satisfactory? I would hate to build a
> new box for this.

I would not build a new box.  But for experiemtnation, I'd recommend
VMware over a second computer in most cases.  If your desktop is twice
as fast as the old hardware and has more more free diskspace, install
Solaris under VMware.

> Are there any other OS' that I could plan with instead? Other than
> Linux/Unix?

If interested in firewalls, look into pfsense and install it (requires
OpenBSD I think).

If you want really different stuff, find Plan9 and install it.  It's a
completely different compute model.

You could also look at something microkernel based (something based on
the Gnu HURD kernel, but they may not be ready for prime time
(http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install ,
http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/).

--

Wayne Walker