[SATLUG] OT(?sorta) Linksys WCG200 - DHCP wrong (or bad) address with routing and NAT turned on

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:01:55 CDT 2008

Jennie Haywood wrote:
> This has been incredibly frustrating.  Apparently, we had a power
> outage last night.  Generally the router may go down but it comes back
> up working.
> Oh but not today.  So I start the normal troubleshooting measures.
> Pinging gateways, doing traceroutes, getting into the user interface
> on the router to see what
> it thinks is going on.  The router was initially set up to get it's
> WAN side address via DHCP, but after several hours of troubleshooting
> and experimenting I found that I could make it work if I statically
> set an IP address.

There are three parts to getting a DHCP address working in a router:

1.  Router's IP Address
2.  Router's Netmask
3.  The Gateway address (where the router sends non-local packets)

Once these are set properly, there is no difference between a manual
setting and a DHCP setting.

It sounds like the DHCP is setting the wrong Gateway address. Check that
all three are correct when using DHCP.

   -- Bruce